Wednesday, June 24, 2009

keeping oneself occupied

The days are rapidly becoming busier, and I suspect that they are beginning to border on the hectic. I have work during regular office hours, although I tend to arrive a little later and leave a little earlier than is regular, on account of all the fifty million things that need to be done when I am not working.

First there is the upkeep of this blog, to which I devote unnecessary attention in the hopes that it will spawn the seed of a book. Ideas are beginning to float. It is promising.
Secondly, I tutor my two cousins (and my brother has started clamouring for attention too so I suppose I must listen) in English. I've been reading Macbeth for that express purpose, and sifting through past papers for essays and grammar questions to set for my brother.
I really DO want to get down to learning Tamil. I feel like I can be of no use to IDP's unless I can communicate with them.

And there are a hundred other things I want to do, but my cousin is here, and she must be given due attention.

(Unfortunately the only way I'm going to be able to volunteer at the Galle Literary Festival in January is if I miss THREE days of school. My mother is quite enthusiastic that I extend my stay, but I'm still on the fence. More on that as and when updates appear.)

***

post script: I had the jolliest time doing poetry with my cousin. She really is the perfect student - intelligent and eager. She also seems to never tire of learning. I actually wish I had been more like that in school.

No comments:

Post a Comment