Thursday, July 23, 2009

monotony

So there was apparently a fight at the Arts Faculty of the University of Colombo last week, and while they sort out that mess the Arts people (everyone doing degrees in Economics, English, etc etc) have two weeks off. This is not the first time this has happened, and this won't be the last. My friends are resigned to their fate, half-annoyed at this hiatus, half-pleased at the chance to take a break. It's a very different scenario from the rigid regulations of Princeton, and I can never stop comparing the two. I can check the academic calendars up until the day I graduate and beyond, and I'm able to book my plane tickets about six months ahead of time. The rhythm and pattern of the semester never changes, and I can pretty much count on it not to change ever, except in the case of a national catastrophe, and maybe not even then (like my financial aid staying constant despite the economic downturn).

Sometimes I wish that something would happen to change the almost boring regularity at Princeton. Some holiday, some snowstorm, some scheduling hiccup, some student uprising (ha! fat chance, that!) to befuddle and flummox the administration a little bit, shake them up, keep them on their toes. Give us a reason to skip a class, take a break, sleep in. But it never happens, dammit. Perhaps, at the same time, I admit that I'm grateful that no matter what, I can count on Princeton to keep plodding ahead in its calm, unruffled way. Never-changing, ever the same, always and forevermore, till thy kingdom come, amen. It means that there are never any nasty an unpleasant surprises. It means I don't have to stay an extra month at school because the professors went on strike, demanding a raise. It means I can plan my life without having to have two or three backup plans Just In Case, or In The Event Of, or Because You Never Know. It's a pretty worry-free situation, just like all Princeton's plans to dispense with worry in any form - financial, academic, mental, abdominal (Princeton takes care of our bellies far too well). But sometimes having to worry a little bit, plan a little extra, think ahead, keeps you from being sluggish, keeps you fit in more ways than one, keeps you a lean, mean (green) fighting machine. So I know I'm exaggerating a little bit, and being a bit gripey and whiney. I just like having a bit of change now and then, that's all.

I think what would really help is if Princeton adopted Sri Lanka's holiday system - declare each full moon day a national holiday because some of them are significant to Buddhists, and religiously (ho ho) observe all holidays of every faith in the country, generously giving everyone a day off and some time for self-indulgence and sleeping in. Yes, that would suit me fine. Because then I'd get Jewish holidays and Chinese New Year on top of all the other ones.

...

It's no good hoping. Americans have a really scary work ethic.

1 comment:

  1. true i really liked to have full moons off too...also days when there are cricket matches, and the excuse the bus broke down is actually fairly valid, no chance of that happening here!

    ReplyDelete